A client recently came to us with a mask that he wanted to frame. It is a resin mask taken from a life cast of Michael Jackson. The cast was taken during the shooting of the “Thriller” video as a means for the makeup artists to be able to transform his face throughout the video. The mask is signed by the artists, so we wanted an archival mount without using adhesives. The solution Zach came up with was to build an acid free foam base the exact size of the opening.
To give the mask the illusion of “floating” off the mat, Zach then built up the back of the mounting with smaller sections of acid free foam core.
The client was planning to light the entire piece once displayed in his home and so opted for a white on white style of frame and mat. We used white rag mat from Crescent and a bright white frame from Larson Juhl’s Alto line. The uv plexi glass box makes the signature and every side of the mask clearly visible.
Deb brought in these medals and bibs as a gift for her step-son, Jordan, a lifelong Star Wars fan. We hear even his bedroom is decorated with Star Wars! He knew she planned to have them framed but, because we’ve done work for both of them, left himself out of the design process. In addition to the bibs and medals, he provided photos he wanted included as well as his times and placing.
The marathon medals are some of the coolest we’ve ever seen, so to make them stand out we opted for black suede mats and a simple black frame. The photos were printed to be a similar size of the bibs. The medal straps were sewn into the back mat and the medals themselves were secured with silicone and additional stitching. They were two races but, Jordan requested one large piece. One race was in Disneyland, the other in Disney World, so we opted to separate them inside the frame with two mat openings. Finally, we added the locations, race times and placing in the middle to tie the two sides together.
This was a really fun project and we hope Jordan will be able to relive his experience every time he looks at his shadow box!
Mother’s Day is Sunday and so begins a time of celebrating Mothers, Fathers and Graduates in our lives. If you’re an adult, the idea of finding a gift for someone that has seemingly everything is a difficult task. We’ve done the work for you and have put together some of the most unique ideas we’ve used for our family over the years.
1. Custom Framed Jewelry Boxes: You’ve done the jewelry thing before, give her a way to show off her favorite necklaces and keep them organized at the same time.
2. Frame a family photo: You’ve only got three more days! Luckily, we have pre-made Photo Frames to fit a 4×6, 5×7 or 8×10. Keep it simple, or let one of the kids embellish the mat with their own style and sentiment.
3. Anthology Gift Cards: Has mom or grandma been hinting they’d like an updated family photo? Want the college graduate to frame that really expensive piece of paper? We have gift cards in any amount that require zero planning. You can even call us at 303-534-1331 and we’ll take care of everything.
4. A nice pen and a conversation piece: We have a selection of handmade pens by Conner Woodworks that make the perfect gift for a parent or graduate.
5. Make a memory they can keep forever: Preservation is the hallmark of custom framing. Maybe it’s band poster your husband has had for years or the last concert you attend at Red Rocks before your grad heads off to college, make sure it will last a lifetime.
When custom framing, sometimes it is necessary or beneficial to create some separation from the art and the frame. Mat board is traditionally used to add this separation and benefits the aesthetic of the design. Because mat board is usually used for framing works on paper, glass is added to protect the art and mat board. But what do you do for a painting or a work that doesn’t require glass? To achieve the same bordering affect, Anthology carries a selection of linen liners in multiple styles, sizes and colors. Linen liners have been used for centuries for oil paintings to separate artwork and frame. The liners are made by wrapping a wood frame in fabric. They add a nice separation between art and frame, dimension and sometimes a pop of color. They are ideal when framing an oil or acrylic on canvas and photos mounted to Dibond with a uv-coating. You supply the art, we’ll supply the inspiration!
All the samples feature Larson Juhl Frames and the colored liners are from the Jonathan Adler collection, also from Larson Juhl.
Anthology was recently consulted for an article on Custom Framing for Houzz. Houzz has quickly grown in to the web's premier site for home design enthusiasts to connect with design and construction professionals as well as a social site to find the latest trends and inspiration.
In the custom framing world, you always remember your first. Your first project for a client that is. We’ve worked closely with Align Lifestyle Management over the last year on some unique custom framing projects. They are a truly likeminded business and take amazing care in curating their client’s homes and offices.
The first piece Nicole brought to us was this t-shirt that had been cut off by EMT’s after a serious accident. Her client wanted to have it framed because of the impact the accident had on his life’s trajectory. Apparently, it was a big hit with his kids as well, as they requested to have a meaningful shirt of their own framed.
Because the shirts are much smaller than his, we treated the framing a little differently, but used the exact same care of building an acid free insert for each to give shape and then hand stitching the shirts to conservation mat board.
For his daughter’s favorite restaurant shirt, we found a beautiful, rustic yellow moulding that complimented the text perfectly. The blue Crescent mat was selected to accent colors already in her bedroom.
The idea of attending MineCon would make the head explode of most kids we know. Having the shirt framed from his son’s trip was a great way to commemorate the experience. As you can see from the photo above, we looked at several mat colors and ultimately decided on the bright red to compliment the frame. The mat also helped to keep the almost midieval looking frame playful and appropriate for a kids room. To anyone familiar with MineCraft, the Larson Juhl frame was a perfect fit.
Shadow box frames can be some of the most challenging and the most rewarding custom framing projects. We had a long time client come to us before the holidays with a significant family project. When her father was 9, he won a Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Race. His father (her grandfather) had helped him with the car and afterward made a wonderful display for the derby car and award. Her father always kept it and eventually gave it to her “little brother”. Fortunately, after 50+ years it was still in great shape and they had some wonderful photos of the winner and his siblings.
Our client knew it was important to her brother and wanted to ensure it would stand the test of time. She also wanted to make it something that he’d be able to look at everyday, while keeping all the elements together. She brought us the car and award display along with the photos and his ribbon. The award display that her grandfather made really needed to stay as it was with the car, making the depth of the box over 3 inches. We had to “stack” two mouldings in order to achieve the depth but it worked out flawlessly! We were able to recess the heavy wood plaque into a fabric Crescent mat, cut windows for the photographs and mount his ribbon. The project was enclosed in a Larson Juhl custom shadow box frame in a similar wood tone as the car and award display. The sides of the custom shadow box were lined with the same mat. TruVue glass was used to protect everything from fading and to keep the inside sealed and clean.
We custom frame a lot of art in Denver, some of it rather pricey. But sometimes the truly priceless pieces aren’t those worth a ton of cash but the memories that are represented in everyday things. Let us be your framer and we can preserve your memories too!
Our client was kind enough to send a photo of her father and brother with the finished piece. We hope he enjoys it for years to come!
Our Top 5 Custom Framing Gift Ideas
5. Family photos. Moms and grandmas in particular love a framed portrait. Have a digital file? Send it to us and we can take care of the printing!
4. Jerseys/Sports Memorabilia. Maybe you didn’t play in the NFL or NBA, you can still show pride by custom framing your favorite players jersey or a collection of memorabilia of your team.
3. Kids Art. It’s obvious that the people who love your child most would love their artwork custom framed. But kids love it too! If there are too many to choose from, bring us photos of the art and we can make them smaller to fit several in one frame.
2. Shadow Boxes/Family Heirlooms. Objects from a loved ones craft or passions make some of the most stunning artwork when custom framed. Bring it out of the shoe box and on to the wall.
1. Vacation Art/Concert Posters. Make a memory last a lifetime. A poster of your favorite band that played at Red Rocks, artwork you purchased on your honeymoon. You name it, we’ve put a custom picture frame on it. Every custom frame design is unique in it’s own right and make a gift that will make an impression.
The Anthology staff (Zach and Kendra) just returned from the West Coast Art and Frame Expo in Las Vegas, at the Paris Hotel and Casino. If you were in the shop at some point the last two months, I’m sure you’ve heard all about it. It was the first time for both of us to attend and it did not disappoint.
Paris Hotel and Casino
We had the opportunity to meet with many of our vendors, see new products, continue our framing education and catch up with some friends.
The Anthology Crew
New Mats from Bainbridge
We really want to thank you, our clients, for making it possible for us to attend. Without your business and support it would not have happened. Anthology will soon be celebrating our five year anniversary and we plan to continue to offer you exceptional design advice and the latest in industry trends. You’re the reason we’re here and we look forward to showing you all the new samples and enhancing your home with custom framing.
New Moulding line from Larson Juhl.